Wed, 26 July|
…and Young People. Understanding Older Children in OSHC - Webinar Wednesday
26 July, 10:00 am – 10:30 am AEST
About the Event
And Young People… Understanding Older Children in OSHC - Webinar Wednesday
Facilitated by Rarni Rothwell
MTOP V2.0 has seen the powerful addition of ‘young people’ to the Australian Framework for School Aged Care – hundreds of times in fact! This is an important reflection of how older children in OSHC see themselves, distinct in identity from the younger children cohort.
In this session we will touch on:
• Why children AND young people
• A variety of theories to better understand this cohort, including:
o Post Structural (informed by the work of Dr Bruce Hurst)
• Being critically reflective ourselves and with this cohort
Older children have long been considered challenging for many educators in OSHC. But what do we really know about this phase of middle childhood development more recently categorised as Tween? How do their support needs differ from their younger and older counterparts? How do children of this age view OSHC? What opportunities does this offer for our OSHC programs? How do we shape OSHC to be places of joy for this underrepresented and often misunderstood age group?
Join us for this session as we reconsider what we know about this age group, explore various theories, and reflect how this impacts their relationships, engagement and leisure time in OSHC. These young people have so much to offer our multiage communities. Let's invest in some critical reflection and make their final years in OSHC - the best yet!
Term 3 sees some exciting changes to our Wednesday Webinars. In response to the changing needs of the OSHC sector we have made the following modifications:
- 30 minute sessions - shorter, sharper content to overcome the time constraints many services are experiencing that limits their engagement with professional development
- New supplementary resources for every session including:
- Training Plan for Educational Leaders with session objectives, regulatory context, pre reading or viewing options, learning activities and additional resources links. This is designed to scaffold Educational Leaders with supporting their educator team in their on the job training, ongoing learning and professional development. It draws connections between session content and pedagogy and practice, and provokes critical reflection on the important role of educational leadership.
- Educator Worksheet with reflections and activities for ‘Putting into Practice’ the session content
- This means that even through the sessions are shorter – you’re not missing out on the important bits
- Cost savings - enjoy educator team (per service) participation for the same fee
- New delivery time - 10:00am to 10:30am EST
Members (whole TEAM access)
1 registration per service (whole TEAM access) Members prices apply to services who are a member of their state or territory's peak body. All prices are inclusive of GST.
NonMember (whole team access)
(whole TEAM access)
OSHCsa (whole TEAM access)